08 October 2009

The Girl With Many Eyes

Tim Burton is the director of Ed Wood, Planet of the Apes and the 1989 version of Batman. My favourite of his movies is probably Edward Scissorhands. It’s the standard 'boy meets girl' kind of story, but instead of hands this boy has scissors on the end of each arm. These unusual appendages come between him and his beloved.

Edward Scissorhands is typical of Burton’s work, he is interested in outcasts, oddballs and teenage freaks. Apart from making movies he has also written and illustrated a book of poems featuring a wide range of strange youths, all struggling to belong. It is called The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories and it is a very funny collection of rhythms. Here’s an example:



The Girl With Many Eyes

One day in the park
I had quite a surprise
I met a girl
who had many eyes.

She was really quite pretty
(and also quite shocking!)
and I noticed she had a mouth,
so we ended up talking.

We talked about flowers,
her poetry classes
and the problems she’d have
if she ever wore glasses.

It’s great to know a girl
who has so many eyes,
but you really get wet
when she breaks down and cries.

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is published by Faber and Faber.

You can watch the trailer for Edward Scissorhands here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking my kids would enjoy your books ... but I was drawn here looking for an old friend. Did you cicumnavigate the globe circa 1997, stopping off for a few months in Seattle?

    Regardless, good luck in your literary quest. I think I will check out your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Scott,
    That's me alright. Drop me a line at:

    freaksandmonsters@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete

Discuss here